Thursday, May 17, 2018

it is just so quiet and lovely over here


Yesterday a husband and wife walked into the children's area and made a comment about how quiet it was.  They were right. It was awfully quiet.  I hadn't seen a child in over an hour.

I poked around the stacks for a few minutes, straightening and displaying books. When I came back to the desk I noticed the husband and wife were sitting on the couch near the desk and they were sound asleep. 

Today, another impossibly slow day, I decided to hang up a new border around one of one of our carpet wall displays. As I was wrangling twelve-foot long pieces of border and being eaten alive by velcro, I noticed an elderly lady wheel herself into the children's area.  She approached the edge of our activity space and paused before exclaiming, "it is just so quiet and lovely over here."  I asked her if she needed any help and she said she was just fine.  I continued my battle with the borders and when I finished, began putting everything I didn't use away.

When I came back, the elderly lady was sound asleep.  

It's tough to imagine, that in less than a week, it will be nothing but chaos on the children's side.  Summer reading is just a few days a way...Surely no one will be napping over here then, right?   

No comments:

Post a Comment