Thursday, May 3, 2018

Introducing Jay-Z, an accomplished accordion player.


As I mentioned a few posts ago, our summer reading program's theme is "Libraries Rock!"

Due to a complete brain fart, I could only think of one display, which I posted a few days ago.  

While talking with a coworker, I mentioned our carpet wall would be blank until something could be figured out, and he suggested putting up pictures of rock stars.  

I really really love interactive displays so I wasn't sure about this idea, but it was an idea, which was better than the zip-a-dee-doo-dah I came up with.

The next day I mentioned his idea to another coworker, who suggested an "author or musician" display.  Boom, I could perfectly picture the entire display and immediately got to work.

Thanks to my clever coworkers, we have two summer reading displays and they are both interactive!

I spent the last couple days cutting out heads and silhouettes and I think this may be my new favorite display!


Next to the display is a spot where kids can grab a piece of paper that lists the names of 40 authors and musicians in one column.  The next column asks them to guess whether they're an author or a musician.  And the last column asks them to guess who they think the person is, which is why they have numbers.

This is Jay-Z, a rap star an accomplished accordion player.


And Allen Say, author and illustrator extraordinaire another accomplished accordion player.


While I was putting up the display I had a few patrons wander over to see what was going on.  They guessed the people as I put them up.  Talk about immediate success!  One teenager stared at it open-mouthed and kept repeating how awesome it was.

A fine example of the awesome power of teamwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment