Tuesday, May 1, 2018

April Reads Part One


April was a great month for reading!  So great in fact, April will be a double post.

Here is part one of my favorite April books:

Six Skills by Age Six by Anna Foote and Bradley Debrick (adult nonfiction)


As someone who is new to storytimes, I have been seeking information everywhere I can find it. This book was my constant companion during my first storytime season, which was a toddler storytime. And now I'm reading it with a slightly different perspective as I plan a family storytime for the summer.

For me, planning a storytime usually begins with the discovery of a special book I can't help but immediately read aloud. I get really enthusiastic about the book, read it aloud to everyone who lets me, and then experience a brief moment of panic when I realize one book isn't enough. What about songs and fingerplays and another book! Planning a storytime creates a rollercoaster of emotions.

Thankfully, any time I need a song, fingerplay, or picture book, "Six Skills by Age Six" is always close by and easy to read. After finding the book that initiated the storytime planning, I then question what six-by-six skill best represents it. Once I identify a theme - rhyming or noticing print for example - I check "Six Skills by Age Six" for lists of songs, books, and fingerplays relating to that theme. I then do an internet search to find lyrics, variations, and videos. Occasionally I read other early literacy books, and though I always find something exciting, "Six Skills by Age Six" is my favorite. It's incredibly easy to understand, accessible, and a lot of fun.

The Baby Tree by Sophie Blackall (picture book)


I think The Baby Tree does a clever and succinct job of explaining where babies come from. Off-the-wall answers that dance around the truth can sometimes just make a child more confused. I love the haha moment when the little boy finds truth in all the answers he's received except for Grandpa's and decides to tell Grandpa the truth. I read this book because Sophie Blackall is one of my favorite illustrators and there are a few books by her I've missed. I must admit I did not think the illustrations were her strongest. They were effective and occasionally cute but not my favorite illustrations by her. No matter, I love this book and will highly recommend it.


Alphabeasts by Wallace Edwards (picture book)


Wallace Edwards' artwork is trippy, outlandish, playful, and beautifully layered with colors and patterns. The text occasionally feels forced but I think this is one of those picture books where you can skip what's written and have a blast creating a story for each page. I like how the quality of art is very adult-like, but the animals in their strange surroundings are very silly and childlike. I also applaud Edwards' choice for the letter 'X.' Oftentimes, authors who write alphabet books choose something desperate, and therefore awful, for the letter 'X.' Rest assured, this is not one of those books.

Rescue & Jessica by Jessica Kensky and Patrick Downes and illustrated by Scott Magoon (picture book)



I'm a sucker for books about service dogs (Looking Out for Sarah and Tuesday Tucks Me In are at the top of my favorites list), so it's no surprise I adore Rescue & Jessica. I love how Rescue and Jessica take turns telling the story, particularly doggy-like thoughts such as the page where Rescue echoes Jessica's "I think you're amazing." I must also give a nod to how well the message of determination is delivered. Determination is portrayed as not just a one-time push as you power through to positivity, but an ongoing action with occasional rewards of positivity. Powerful stuff for a children's book. I also love the illustrations - the interesting angle of Jessica the first time she's in the hospital, Rescue curled up in his doggy bed, and the constant changes in dark and light throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment